Fair Work Commission announces minimum wage increase
On Friday June 19, 2020, the Fair Work Commission (FWC) delivered its decision on the review of the national minimum wage (for award/agreement free employees) and modern award minimum wages.
The decision will see the national minimum wage and award rates increase by 1.75%, taking the national minimum wage to $753.80 per week, or $19.84 per hour.
These minimum award changes will be instated on three different dates, depending on the particular industry sector: 1 July 2020, 1 November 2020 and 1 February 2021. The increases will apply from the start of the first full pay period on or after the operative dates.
Below is a summary for important awards when the increase will apply. For a full overview from the FWC, click here and scroll down to the bottom of the document for the complete list of awards and their operative date.
1 July 2020 1.75% increase for the following Awards (summary):
- Banking, Finance and Insurance Award 2020
- Cleaning Services Award 2020
- Educational Services (Schools) General Staff Award 2020
- Educational Services (Teachers) Award 2010
- Electrical Power Industry Award 2020
- Health Professionals and Support Services Award 2020
- Nurses Award 2010
- Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award 2010
- Victorian Government Schools Award 2016
1 November 2020 1.75% increase for the following Awards (summary):
- Business Equipment Award 2010
- Clerks—Private Sector Award 2010
- Contract Call Centres Award 2020
- Educational Services (Post-Secondary Education) Award 2020
- Food, Beverage and Tobacco Manufacturing Award 2010
- Higher Education Industry-Academic Staff-Award 2020
- Horticulture Award 2010
- Manufacturing and Associated Industries and Occupations Award 2020
- Miscellaneous Award 2020
- Pastoral Award 2010
- Pharmaceutical Industry Award 2010
- Professional Employees Award 2020
- Storage Services and Wholesale Award 2020
1 February 2021 1.75% increase for the following Awards (summary):
- Vehicle Repair, Services and Retail Award 2020 (note: vehicle manufacturing is now part of the manufacturing award)
- Wine Industry Award 2010