By Bayside Group
Jun 19, 2020
Fair Work Commission announces minimum wage increase
On Friday June 19, 2020, the Fair Work Commission (FWC) delivered its decision on the review of the national minimum wage (for award/agreement free employees) and modern award minimum wages.
The decision will see the national minimum wage and award rates increase by 1.75%, taking the national minimum wage to $753.80 per week, or $19.84 per hour.
These minimum award changes will be instated on three different dates, depending on the particular industry sector: 1 July 2020, 1 November 2020 and 1 February 2021. The increases will apply from the start of the first full pay period on or after the operative dates.
Below is a summary for important awards when the increase will apply. For a full overview from the FWC, click here and scroll down to the bottom of the document for the complete list of awards and their operative date.
1 July 2020 1.75% increase for the following Awards (summary):
- Banking, Finance and Insurance Award 2020
- Cleaning Services Award 2020
- Educational Services (Schools) General Staff Award 2020
- Educational Services (Teachers) Award 2010
- Electrical Power Industry Award 2020
- Health Professionals and Support Services Award 2020
- Nurses Award 2010
- Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award 2010
- Victorian Government Schools Award 2016
1 November 2020 1.75% increase for the following Awards (summary):
- Business Equipment Award 2010
- Clerks—Private Sector Award 2010
- Contract Call Centres Award 2020
- Educational Services (Post-Secondary Education) Award 2020
- Food, Beverage and Tobacco Manufacturing Award 2010
- Higher Education Industry-Academic Staff-Award 2020
- Horticulture Award 2010
- Manufacturing and Associated Industries and Occupations Award 2020
- Miscellaneous Award 2020
- Pastoral Award 2010
- Pharmaceutical Industry Award 2010
- Professional Employees Award 2020
- Storage Services and Wholesale Award 2020
1 February 2021 1.75% increase for the following Awards (summary):
- Vehicle Repair, Services and Retail Award 2020 (note: vehicle manufacturing is now part of the manufacturing award)
- Wine Industry Award 2010
If you require any assistance regarding these new changes to modern awards and understanding how they impact your business, contact Bayside Group Workplace Relations today.